What works and what doesn’t work for pest control? Well, that is a good question. There are truths, and then there are old wives’ tales. Of course, no one wants bugs in their home. But really, they are more than simply a bother.
Insects that get into your home can spread disease, filth, and more. That is why it is imperative to have an effective and trustworthy pest control company caring for your home or business with pest elimination methods that are tried and true.
Have you tried those family old wives’ tales for pest elimination, but they simply do not work?
Perhaps you have heard of this and that new method for pest control, but you have no idea if it will work?
Maybe you are considering getting a flute to lead the mice out of your house like the Pied Piper?
If so, you are not alone. At James River Pest Solutions, we are asked every day if this way or that thing works instead of hiring a company. So, what are the old wives’ tales that get rid of insects? James River Pest Solutions is here to sort that out for the good customers of Virginia.
The funny thing is there are a lot of wives’ tales that people try with no results whatsoever. Why waste your time on an effort that just won’t do any good at all?
Let’s go over those wives’ tales and debunk them for good.
The Wives’ Tales That Just Do Not Work
Anyone that hands down an old wives’ tale has good intentions. That is for sure. However, intentions and good meaning do not eliminate pesky insects in your home. Don’t waste any more time on methods that do nothing.
Here are the old wives’ tales that people tell us about each day. But here is the kicker… some may actually work. Let’s go through them one by one.
- Place a penny in a bag of water to get rid of mosquitos. – If you try this, you will probably end up with more mosquitos. They love standing water, and the penny does nothing for detracting the bugs and keeping you safe.
- Chalk lines ward off ants. – This is simply not true. It does not chase off ants or confuse them. It is a useless effort, and the ants will just pass right over it.
- Grits kill ants. – Providing ants with a starchy meal is the worst answer to pest control.
- Boiling water kills an ant colony. – While this method may kill a few near the top, the ants will just go deeper, avoiding the water.
- Sugar and borax kill roaches. – Well, borax can kill roaches, but it takes a very long time and will not kill them all. And sugar attracts ants!
- Peppermint oil will get rid of spiders. – A spider may move if you spray their web with the oil, but they will just rebuild nearby. It does not work.
- Hang a clear bag of water to repel flies. – MythBusters has already proven this one to not be at all founded. They are not deterred from a plate of food by refracted light.
- Vinegar eliminates fruit flies. – This one is true! Vinegar does repel the flies and keep them away from your sweets.
- Mothballs are used for bed bugs. – Chasing them away with stinky mothballs may chase them out, but it will also chase you away from your bed. Not to mention, you do not want to scatter bed bugs. In a study, 60% of the bugs may have died, but the eggs and nymphs were untouched.
- Baking Soda dehydrates bed bugs. – There is no evidence this works, and it sure would not kill eggs. So, this is not worth your time or the mess.
- Dryer sheets chase bugs away. – There is no proof of this working. But we sure do not want to chase bed bugs away because you do not want them to spread throughout the home.
- The best bait for mice is cheese. – Well, this is not true. Mice like cheese, but foods like peanut butter and dried fruit are better in a trap to capture those pesky mice.
Ways Homeowners Can Help Control Pests
Your cooperation and a quality pest control company are the key to eradicating pests from your home or business. If the technician asks you to help in any of the following areas, you must do so. Here is what James River Pest Control suggests.
- Vacuum or sweep up crumbs on a routine basis.
- Always do the dishes after a meal. Leaving them in waiting for the following day only encourages insects.
- Throw away fruit that begins to rot as soon as you see it softening.
- When we spray, please don’t allow children or pets in the areas treated by chemicals until the spray has completely dried.
- Remove items from around the walls at the baseboards, such as toys, pet supplies, and personal items.
- Empty cabinets before arrival if necessary.
- Take all household pets away from the treatment area.
- Cover aquariums and turn off the pumps. Then cover them with heavy plastic wrap.
Furthermore, pesticides are toxic and can harm pets and children if ingested or rubbed into their eyes. Of course, certain chemicals are harsher than others, so it depends on which insects and treatments are needed. This is where good communication with your pest control service technician comes in handy.
According to PestWorld.org,
“It is important that homeowners remain active participants before, during, and after all pest control treatments.”
And we couldn’t agree more. Ask questions, talk with the technicians, and stay involved through the entire process. That way, should an infestation begin in the home, you are comfortable and well informed of the process and how you can help.
James River Residential Pest Solutions
Don’t fall for old wives’ tales and pest control methods that are unfounded. Call in the team that knows just what insects are up to and has the equipment to send them packing. When James River Pest Solutions is on the job, you can expect the best.
- First, we inspect the area in and outside your home.
- Next, our team will locate entry points and nesting sites.
- Finally, we will treat for potential pests and the insects we see upon inspection.
In addition, if we find any rodent activity, we will trap and remove them as well. Our customers trust James River to keep their homes protected.
James River Commercial Pest Solutions
Companies need pest solutions too. That is why James River Pest Solutions is here for your commercial business’s pest control. Here are a few of the places we have taken care of so far.
- Office and retail buildings
- Restaurants and food handling establishments
- Industrial facilities
- Warehouses and storage facilities
- Apartment complexes
- Vacation rentals
- Foreclosed properties
- Churches, Synagogues, Mosques, and places of worship
James River Pest Solution’s Top-Rated Virginia Pest Control Service
James River Pest Solutions professionals want you to rely on us for quality pest control service. As a preferred company, you can trust our service and our technicians. Your James River service covers your home for various nuisance pests. Those pests include but are not limited to ants, roaches, spiders, centipedes, millipedes, crickets, wasps, flies, pantry pests, mice, and even rats.
When you choose us, you will find the following to be true.
- We provide estimates done right.
- Our company will work to build your trust.
- Our technicians are fully licensed and insured.
- Safety is one of our top priorities.
- Our family-owned business will welcome you into the James River Pest Solutions family.
It is no old wives’ tale that your home is your castle, your investment, and the shelter you cover your family in. It should not be shared with creepy crawlers and pesky pests. You deserve to live in a problem-free home, and James River Pest Solutions knows how to deliver just that.
When deciding on a professional company for your pest control services, use one you trust, like James River Pest Solutions. Contact our customer service department today to get on the schedule for your estimate and start with James River and let’s do away with the wives’ tales for good.